[hobbit] Java and C# agent library

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri May 23 10:43:47 CEST 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:23:25AM +0000, ?skar Hannesson wrote:
> Hello.
> I have several Java and c# daemons running some missinon critical tasks and I want to monitor those daemons with Hobbit.
> I heard that I could use the HTTP POST command to post heartbeats to the Hobbit but I cant seem to find any dicumentation about this.
> Can anyone give me a hint here where I could find some documentation about this?

Look at the bbmessage.cgi manpage.

You need to send a normal Hobbit message - like the text you would put
in the
   $BB $BBDISP "status fooserver.myapp green ..."
message - and send the "status foo..." text as the contents of the HTTP
POST that you pass to the bbmessage.cgi CGI script.

So something like

   POST /cgi-bin/bbmessage.cgi HTTP/1.0

   status fooserver.com.myapp green 23 May 2008 10:41:00

   The application is OK

and send it off to the Hobbit server's web interface. Presumably your
Java / C# libraries have some utility functions for doing a POST to
a webserver, so you just need to concern yourself with the status
message.