[hobbit] Using hobbit's larrd with Big Brother

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Mar 29 07:49:32 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:59:33AM -0400, Breitman, Jason wrote:
> I am running Big Brother version 3.3.
> My company appreciates the support from Quest which is why we have not
> converted to Hobbit.
> I was wondering if there is a way to use the portion of hobbit that
> generates the larrd graphs with Big Brother.
> We are having performance issues when running larrd on the DISPLAY
> Server and I know that the Hobbit Version will help us.

As I understand, you want Hobbit to create and update the RRD files
that stores the data for the graphs. To do so, you will need to have
a Hobbit server running which is fed the same data as your BB server.

The simple solution would be to setup bbproxy (from Hobbit) to receive
all of the data from your clients and your BBNET server(s), and then
setup Hobbit and BB to receive data from the bbproxy. If all of this
runs on the same host, then you'll have to tweak some port numbers
or assign some extra IP-adresses to the host, so that BB's bbd, Hobbit's
hobbitd and bbproxy all have separate ports that they listen to.

With that setup you'll essentially be running both BB and Hobbit in
parallel, each of them receiving the same data.