[hobbit] F5 BigIP [Devmon] Response to Large or cant Fragment or configuration?

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 15:52:22 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 6:56 AM, Bill Richardson <wrichardson at llbean.com> wrote:

>   I sent this to the devmon mailing list and thought it might be worth
>  trying the hobbit list to see if anyone was using Hobbit and or Devmon
>  to monitor F5's.
>
>  Any thoughts/help?

I'm not using devmon, but I am using Hobbit to watch some BigIPs.

I was asked to set up some BigIP pool monitoring, but "they" won't let
SNMP work properly (snmpwalk times out) so I had to come up with an
alternative.  What I ended doing was to modifiy some of the SOAP-Lite
Perl scripts from the F5 iControl SDK.  I have both v4 and v9 scripts
that will read the list of pools, then get the Enabled/Disabled status
of each port for each pool member to report to Hobbit.  I also had it
reporting the Up/Down state, but was told "we've got other ways of
figuring that out" so I commented out that bit.

And then I started seeing purple dots and I realised that "they" were
updating the BigIP configs at random times, so I set up another script
to read the pool lists and create bb-hosts include files...

At least one of the BigIPs has a 98 member pool and a 150 member pool.
 Seems to be reporting OK.

Ralph Mitchell