[hobbit] hobbit email notifications with nullmailer

Bill Arlofski waa-hobbitml at revpol.com
Tue Mar 25 22:49:22 CET 2008

Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 04:14:30PM -0400, Bill Arlofski wrote:
>> /usr/sbin/sendmail is the 'wrapper' for email submissions, but it does not
>> accept a subject on the command line (eg: -s "this is the subject") the way
>> the sendmail does:
>
> Hobbit doesn't invoke sendmail directly, at least not with the default
> configuration. Hobbit calls the command defined via the MAIL and MAILC
> settings in hobbitserver.cfg to send e-mail, this is typically the
> "mail" or "mailx" programs.

Right. I should have mentioned that I had already edited that file.
Sorry for not being as complete as I normally try to be when describing
an issue.

> They in turn will probably invoke sendmail. However, if running the
> standard "mail" utility fails, then IMNSHO you have more severe mail
> problems with your setup than just Hobbit.

I hear you... But due to my lacking description of the problem, I may
have led you to think more is wrong than actually is. :)

> You should probably look at writing a small wrapper around your mail
> system that support sending e-mail with a subject on the command line,
> and then point the MAIL and MAILC settings in Hobbit to that wrapper.

Yes, thank you. That was pointed out to me in a recent post, and I just
finished a custom script. Also, it looks like installing the mailx
package on top of the nullmailer package seems to also be an option from
a previous post.

Thanks again.