[hobbit] Hobbit client - FreeBSD 7

Levin, Alexandre alevin at reveredata.com
Mon Mar 24 23:31:09 CET 2008

Am I correct that you see only part of the vmstat trends ?

I can guess where the problem is:

According to the "do_vmstat.c" the vmstat layout used for FreeBSD is:

/* This one matches FreeBSD 4.10 */
/* LARRD 0.43c compatible */
static vmstat_layout_t vmstat_freebsd_layout[] = {
        { 0, "cpu_r" },
        { 1, "cpu_b" },
        { 2, "cpu_w" },
        { 3, "mem_avm" },
        { 4, "mem_free" },
        { 5, "mem_flt" },
        { 6, "mem_re" },
        { 7, "mem_pi" },
        { 8, "mem_po" },
        { 9, "mem_fr" },
        { 10, "sr" },
        { 11, "dsk_da0" },
        { 12, "dsk_fd0" },
        { 13, "cpu_int" },
        { 15, "cpu_csw" },
        { 16, "cpu_sys" },
        { 17, "cpu_usr" },
        { 18, "cpu_idl" },
        { -1, NULL }
};

But vmstat output (in FreeBSD versions 4,5,6,7) is:
procs     memory           page           disks      faults         cpu
r b w    avm  fre flt  re pi po fr sr    da0 da1    in sy cs      us sy
id

where "disks" part depends on the number of disks in the system (1 or 2
in case of running vmstat without -n parameter)

probably an alternative could be run "vmstat -n 1" (limit vmstat to the
single drive ) and change vmstat_freebsd_layout to:

static vmstat_layout_t vmstat_freebsd_layout[] = {
        { 0, "cpu_r" },
        { 1, "cpu_b" },
        { 2, "cpu_w" },
        { 3, "mem_avm" },