More Newbie questions.. sorry in advance..

Rafal Roginela Rafal.Roginela at AmeriCashLoans.net
Fri Mar 21 16:33:04 CET 2008

Hi All,

Did some of the research on this already and have some ideas but I would
like a more concise list of directories to backup when I backup my
CentOs 5 box running the Hobbit Moinitor. I do have a "full backup" that
I actually made a script for that connects me to a windows box that is
being backed up to tape and dumps a nice bz2 file there. What I'm
looking for is the incremental or data directories that I should be
backing up daily (I figured /etc) but want to know of any other places
that I should be backing up my server on a daily basis. Here is the tar
command that I run for a full backup once a week:

"tar cvpjf "$backup_location/$backup_name" --exclude=/proc
--exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys /"

And if someone knows of anything more I should be adding to the excludes
that would also help.

The server is pretty much a monitoring box running Hobbit monitoring my
sites and servers and OpenNMS to monitor my switches and firewalls. I'm
doing research now on cron to get these to fire off by themselves not me
manually running the scripts

Thank you Henrik and contributors for the great software! And thank you
all for the great responsiveness and great advice!!

Thank you,

Rafal Roginela