Question about host listed in bb-hosts more than once

Bill Arlofski waa-hobbitml at revpol.com
Fri Mar 21 15:45:00 CET 2008

Hello Hobbit list!

I have written some custom scripts that are designed to poll a NUT
server (network ups tools - http://www.networkupstools.org/ ) and get
the values for battery charge %, battery voltage, AC input voltage, AC
output voltage and finally UPS load % for one or more UPSes that the nut
server is monitoring.

Since I am getting five additional columns (bat-charge, bat-voltage,
in-voltage, out-voltage and ups-load), I want the stats of the UPSes to
be on a different page than the rest of the stats on the servers page to
limit the number of additional columns which apply to only one server.

In bb-hosts I have:  (please forgive word wraps on some of these lines)

page Servers Servers
group-except /
ntp|bat-charge|bat-voltage|in-voltage|out-voltage|ups-load|hobbitd|bbd|bbgen|bbtest|files
Linux Servers
...other servers...
10.1.1.1 dns.domain.tld # CLIENT:dns NAME:dns prefer bbd dns ntp ssh /
http://dns.domain.tld

Then, for the UPS status page, I have:

page UPSes UPSes
group-only bat-charge|bat-voltage|in-voltage|out-voltage|ups-load
0.0.0.0  dns.domain.tld    # CLIENT:dns NAME:"UPS Monitor" noconn

I have noticed that if I list the IP address and name of the dns server
twice, hobbit complains in the logs about it and explains that strange
things might happen.   Fair enough... So I added the "prefer" option to
the dns server line with the IP, and set the ip of the second instance
to 0.0.0.0

The issue I am seeing is that while all my custom UPS status reports
work as do their related rrdtool graphs, the NAME:"UPS Monitor" option
does not appear to work and the UPS page has one server line labeled
"dns"  which is the name of the server that is running the UPS
monitoring scripts.  I have also tried removing the CLIENT:dns option
from the 0.0.0.0 server line to no avail.

I realize that this is only a minor cosmetic issue, but it can be
confusing or misleading to the end users since even though the dns
server is running the scripts, the results it is reporting really
pertain to one or more UPSes on one or more OTHER servers.

Is there a way to do this? Have I missed something simple?

Thanks for Hobbit, and thanks for any help on this...

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC