[hobbit] Nesting rules in hobbit-alerts.cfg

Gary Baluha gumby3203 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 18:26:29 CET 2008

Is it possible to nest rules in hobbit-alerts.cfg?  For example, can I do
something like this (indenting provided for readability):

PAGE=hostPageA NOTICE RECOVERED
     HOST=hostA,hostB,hostC
          MAIL pager at somewhere.com
     HOST=%(hostD[0-9])
          MAIL email at somewhere.com

Our alerting rules are starting to get kind of complex, and nesting alert
rules as above would make things easier.  I know I could do something like:

PAGE=hostPageA NOTICE RECOVERED
     MAIL pager at somewhere.com HOST=hostA,hostB,hostC
     MAIL email at somewhere.com HOST=%(hostD[0-9])

But some of the HOST= lists are very long (i.e. wrap across multiple lines),
so the above 2nd example would look a lot uglier than it does in this post
(which was simplified for readability).  If nesting rules won't work, I
wonder how much effort would be involved in adding this feature.