[hobbit] Time to merge bbwin into hobbit

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Mar 8 11:13:40 CET 2008

On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 10:20:20AM +0100, Ulric Eriksson wrote:

> As developer of another Hobbit client, I would prefer the opposite: replace
> the big switch in hobbitd_client.c with something that allows independent
> development of clients. As it is, developing a new client requires patching
> Hobbit or sticking with the old Big Brother protocol.

Agreed, that would be nice. It wasn't a concern back when I wrote the
original code, but it has become more pressing nowadays.

There is a way around it, though - you can build a separate
hobbitd_myclient module using bits and pieces from the Hobbit code,
merged with your own module. It isn't the most elegant of solutions -
you'll need to run both the standard hobbitd_client and your own in
parallel - but it is a way around it.

There are also some licensing issues with incorporating Hobbit code into
your own module - you'll have to release your code under GPL. Don't know
if that's an issue for You.

By the way, what client is it you're working on ? MrBig ?