Service smtp on xxxxxx is not OK : Unexpected service response

Andrew Clarke andrew at bccit.co.uk
Wed Jun 25 15:12:44 CEST 2008

I know this has been reported before, but I've gone through all the
offered solutions to no avail.

Problem:
Hobbit 4.1.2p1 runs smtp checks against several Exchange mail servers.
Was working fine until June 6th (when I added RDP service).
Since then, get alternating Green (4 mins) then Yellow (< 1 min) on SMTP
test.
- Yellow status says "Service smtp on xxxxxxxx is not OK : Unexpected
service response"

- Green status says "Service smtp on xxxxxxxx	 is OK (up)"

- SMTP test always shows as yellow on Hobbit Status pages.

- Conn test to same IP as SMTP is always Green.

- Telnet to port 25 of SMTP IP from Hobbit command line gives normal
Exchange 220 response.

- Have tried removing RDP service - no change.

- Have tried adding/removing various "send" entries to SMTP test, as per
the following, and with none -
  send "mail\r\nquit\r\n"
  send "rset\r\nquit\r\n"
  send "ehlo hostname.domainname.com\r\nmailfrom:hobbit (at)
server.com\r\nquit\r\n"
  send "vrfy postmaster\r\nquit\r\n"

- all make no difference. NB: I did restart Hobbit between each change &
waited 10 minutes.

- Without the "send" line, my SMTP entry is as follows:
[smtp]
   expect "220"
   options banner
   port 25

- The RDP test works fine!
[rdp]
   Port 3389

Does anyone have any ideas?

Andrew

Andrew Clarke
Support and Technical Development Officer
BCC IT Solutions
DDI: 0871 288 2036
Tel: +44 (0)1239 710823
http://www.bccit.co.uk/
Providers of business to business IT Solutions & Services
Back-up - Anti Virus - Security - Servers - Wireless Networks - VPN - Remote Monitoring - Project Consultation Hardware Provision Servers & Workstations - Disaster Recovery - Proactive Diagnostics - System Migration - Fibre CAT5e Server Administration - Forensics - Grant Appraisal - Network Management - System Appraisals - Support Contracts ...
For full e-mail terms & conditions of use, please follow the link to the bcc web site http://www.bccitsolutions.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=1
BCC IT Solutions is a trading name of European Computer Units Limited, Registered in Cardiff, Company Registration No. 2651835
Registered Office: Unit B Station Road, Newcastle Emlyn, Carmarthenshire, Wales, SA38 9BX