[hobbit] Debugging help: bbtest-net gets http test timing wrong

Tim McCloskey devzero at cox.net
Mon Jun 16 06:13:43 CEST 2008

I'll take a stab at this but you may have already looked at the things I wonder about or they may not help in any way.
I've only thought about this for a couple of minutes so I could be way off.

You have stated there are a couple servers that seem to respond differently.  Can you, 100% consistently, recreate the
proper|improper response from the web boxes?  If so, look at the changelog between apache 2.2 and 2.0 (assuming that
those servers - 2.0, 2.2 - are on the same network and that all of the media setting match ie. 100Fdx 100Fdx, etc.).

Are you _sure_ you are not using DNS in some fashion, perhaps reverse lookups or perhaps the newer apache config file
contains some lookup setting.  (can you get away with using the same httpd.conf on the 2.0 and 2.2 boxes?)

What does the network traffic and connections look like on each of the servers?   Have you tried running tcpdump on one
of the web boxes to see if there are any clues there?

I don't recall if hobbit uses wget for his http gets.  Are all the servers using the same settings in resolv.conf and
nsswitch.conf?

There are probably other things to check but start with making sure DNS is not involved, even if you think it is not.