[hobbit] FROM Address in emails

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 16:18:34 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Rafal Roginela <
Rafal.Roginela at americashloans.net> wrote:

>  Hi All,
>

> I'm sorry if I sound dumb but I just want to change the "from address" or
> the "reply to" on the mails going out from my hobbit server. I've searched
> through the mailing list and docs and can't seem to see it (I'm sure it is
> simple). Please help.

That's probably going to take a change in /etc/passwd, if you just want to
change the userid.

I just took a look at email I received from our Hobbit - MS Outlook shows
the "from address" as:

     Hobbit Monitor [hobbit at server.domain.com]

The hobbit userid in /etc/passwd looks like this:

     hobbit:x:508:508:Hobbit Monitor:/home/hobbit:/bin/bash

I know for a fact that's where the outgoing email picks up "Hobbit Monitor",
because that's nowhere else in the system, and if I change that string new
outgoing email picks it up.  If I change the /etc/passwd entry to read:

     norman:x:508:508:Norman the Foreman:/home/hobbit:/bin/bash

I would expect hobbit email to come from

   "Norman the Foreman [norman at server.domain.com]"

Alternatively you might be able to set up a script to talk directly to the
SMTP server and convince it to use a spoofed address.  That used to work,
but email servers are smarter now...

Ralph Mitchell