[hobbit] Bug Report: Critical error in log couldn't be sent to server every time

s_aiello at comcast.net s_aiello at comcast.net
Wed Jul 23 15:50:12 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 23 July 2008, Hubbard, Greg L wrote:
> Samuel,
>
> Maybe the current release of Hobbit is not up to this task (maybe you
> should ask for a refund :) )?  I think the Hobbit logfetch function is
> aimed more at "convenience monitoring" instead of real-time log
> filtering. It is not hard to envision cases where processing log files
> in "30 minute chunks" might have scalability problems.
>
> If these messages are VERY important, you might search the Web for a
> tool that will scan a log file watching for these messages, and then
> write them to another log, and then have the Hobbit agent watch the log
> you create that only has "interesting" messages in it.
>
> GLH

It really depends on what log level your application is logging at. If you are
logging at 'INFO' level, then there will be alot of data to process. As you
see, Hobbit implements a limit on how much log data it will parse. This is a
good thing, at least in my opinion.

It all depends what is in your log... and why soo much data is being written.
If they are all errors, well hobbit would be catching them telling you there
are errors. Since this is not the case.. would guess your log has data other
than errors.

Suggestions:
1. tune your application log settings so that only errors are written.
2. make use of the client-local.cfg log's setting of ignore. This will allow
the hobbit client to identify what is an extraneous message, and ignore it.
Per the man page:

The ignore PATTERN line (optional) defines lines in the logfile which are
ignored entirely, i.e. they are stripped from the logfile data before sending
it to the Hobbit server. It is used to remove completely unwanted "noise"
entries from the logdata processed by Hobbit. "PATTERN" is a regular
expression.

I hope this helps you,
 ~Steve