[hobbit] resend: 2 questions

Gary Baluha gumby3203 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 20:32:46 CEST 2008

The philosophy Hobbit uses for alerting is that you're okay until you reach
a certain threshold.  At that point (yellow) you still have to respond to
the event and take care of it, before it becomes a bigger issue.  If it
continues, then you reach another threshold where stuff can (and usually
does) break.  At this point, you _need_ to respond to the event.

What you are proposing is a fourth level such that you are "beyond
critical".  This is a similar concept to being "fatally killed" (as opposed
to just being "killed").  The trick to running a successful monitoring
system is setting the thresholds in the first place (which is easier said
than done), such that you don't have any false-positives, but even more
importantly, no false-negatives (i.e. an alert you should have gotten, but
didn't).

Can you give a more specific example (in as far as I.P./security will allow)
of what you are trying to accomplish?