Hobbit being taught in college syadmin courses!

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Wed Jan 30 23:17:44 CET 2008

I'm happy to report that last week I was a guest speaker at MCC (Mesa
Community College), located in Mesa, Arizona.  The class was CIS240DL -
Linux Network Administration. During the 4 hour class, I gave a complete
presentation on Hobbit, and the instructor and I helped the students
install their own Hobbit servers and configure them to monitor services
both on the server and some remote clients.  We had a couple of snags as
all the workstations were CentOS, so we had to perform a few extra steps
to get the prereqs, and battle SELinux :-)

It seemed to go very well, and the students seemed impressed and pleased
with Hobbit.  I think I may have even converted one experienced student
who seemed to prefer Zabbix :)

The instructor seemed to enjoy the presentation as well, and it looks
like I will also be invited to a repeat performance for the CIS238DL
Linux System Administration class.  He has also invited me to speak
about Hobbit at the local LUG.

So, just reporting that Hobbit is getting lots of exposure here in
Arizona!  _Henrik, I hope you don't mind, but for my presentation I used
the slides you have up on your site as a framework_. I made sure to
credit you as not only the main author of Hobbit but as the source of
the slides :)

I encourage others to evangelize Hobbit wherever they can. In my
experience a lot of people have not heard of it, and once they see it
they are like "wow" and want to start using it.  The more the community
grows, the better our chance of getting acceptance to the various
distros, and more volunteers to help contribute code and ideas to help
Henrik out.

-Charles