[hobbit] Future of Hobbit

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jan 30 15:13:46 CET 2008

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 07:48:49AM -0500, s_aiello at comcast.net wrote:
> Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> > Someone in this thread wrote that he was thinking of implementing a new
> > web front-end. That would be fantastic! I would gladly drop support for
> > the old static HTML files generated by bbgen in favor of a modernized
> > web interface. And the web U/I is fairly independent from the rest of
> > Hobbit, so it is easy to change.
>
> I took a look at this a bit. The hardest part about this as I see it, would be
> pulling information from multiple data sources. For report data I could use
> bb commands (hobbitdxboard, or others), but then I would need to parse the
> server's bb-host file for page layouting. Which isn't a huge problem, just
> adds complication.

This assumes you want to keep on using bb-hosts as the source of your
layout - I don't think that is a good idea. I would much rather have all
of the webpage layout stuff moved somewhere separate, so you can generate
multiple different sets of webpages from the same monitoring data. So
there would be one XML file describing how the webpages are laid out,
which hosts goes on what pages etc - and another XML file you get from
the hobbitdxboard command that fills in the current data on those pages.