[hobbit] multiple apache instance trending question

steve.e.mcconnell at gsk.com steve.e.mcconnell at gsk.com
Tue Jan 29 22:24:02 CET 2008

Thanks for the reply, I had neglected to add that in to my tracking, which
I have now done.  But I don't think that will get me the Apache Worker
status (# busy and idle) , Apache CPU stats, and requests per second.

That is what I am looking to track

steve

steve mcconnell
gsk
unix application hosting support
919-282-3052

"Charles Jones" <jonescr at cisco.com>
29-Jan-2008 15:37
Please respond to hobbit at hswn.dk

hobbit at hswn.dk
cc

Subject
Re: [hobbit] multiple apache instance trending question

steve.e.mcconnell at gsk.com wrote:

I have a new hobbit installation which is collecting and trending the
apache status data correctly.

For various reasons, I have about 7 separate apache instances on each
server that I would like to trend individually as well.

To accomplish this, I think that I would have to do the following in order
to get hobbit (4.2.0)  to trend this data:

edit ~/bbnet/bbtest-net.c and copy the apache section (lines 601-637) the
requisite number of times changing the subsequent apache references to
something like 2apache, then 3apache, etc.
Modify the  ~/hobbitd/rrd/do_apache.c file basically copying the entire
thing starting at line 13 (int do_apache_rrd(char *hostname, char
*testname, char *msg, time_t tstamp) but changing each instance of apache
to 2apache, then 3apache, etc. Then recompile and redeploy.

After redeploying, I would also need to modify hobbitgraph.cfg copying the
apache section and modifying with 2apache, 3apache, etc for the name of
the graph as well as the rrd files.

At this point, I think I should point out that I don't program in C (many
would say in any other language either.)

Is there anything else that I am missing? and am I making this too hard?

I assume all of the apache instances are not running out of the same
directory, so why not track the processes by their full path in
hobbit-clients.cfg:

PROC /usr/local/apache1/bin/httpd TRACK=apache1
PROC /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd TRACK=apache2

-Charles