[hobbit] urlplus.pl http/https monitoring extension script

Gary Baluha gumby3203 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 18:07:47 CET 2008

> That looks like the kind of thing I've been doing in bash scripts using
> curl.  I've thought about switching to a different language, but I don't
> know enough Perl to get started.  Maybe I'll take another look...  :)

For the kind of work that this script is doing, there weren't really any
reasons to require perl over shell script.  I picked perl because I've been
doing a lot of perl scripting lately, but also because it should be easier
to convert the perl code to C at some point, if I feel that is necessary.

As far as speed goes, I've found there isn't much of a difference between
perl and shell, though in certain cases I've seen shell script a little
quicker.  I'm sure the usual "your mileage may vary" quote is worth throwing
out at this point ;-)

I'm not doing anything really perl-crazy with this script, and I think I
have it pretty well commented, so it should be a decent reference if you
want to get in to perl.  Either way, I'd be interested in comparing notes in
what our two scripts do, and possibly combining features from yours into
this one.