[hobbit] Future of Hobbit

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Fri Jan 25 22:35:54 CET 2008

Tim Rotunda wrote:
> I have not looked at the option you note, however, there are times where
> deploying clients is not an option.  I suspect that is why bb-central was
> born and why I developed hobcen.  Like I said, it started as a shell script,
> morphed into a C application and then a POSIX-threaded C application.  This
> was all based on shared ssh keys, but after coming from a stint in a DC with
> 60,000+ nodes on 3 acres of raised floor, I learned very quickly how to use
> ssh pw auth for batch communications that is fast.  :-)
>
> We all have issues to resolve and like UNIX, there are 10 different ways to
> solve any one of them.

The pulldata option was added some time ago. You use the keyword in
bb-hosts for the hosts you want to pull client data from instead of
waiting for a push:

---man page snippet---
       pulldata[=[IP][:port]]
              This  option  is  recognized by the hobbitfetch(8)
utility, and causes it to poll the host
              for client data. The optional IP-address and port-number
can be used  if  the  client-side
              msgcache(8) daemon is listening on a non-standard
IP-address or port-number.

As noted it also requires activating the "msgcache" option in the
clients clientlaunch.cfg.  Basically what happens is the client reports
the client-data to "itself", a buffer of sorts, which the Hobbit client
then comes along and grabs.

You may find it useful except in the cases you mention where the
installation of a client is not possible at all, although I'm not sure
why you would be able to run all the commands that the normal client
runs, but yet not able to run the normal client?

This is the first I have heard of hobcen...It sounds like it could be
useful for some folks until Henrik provides a better solution.  Have you
submitted it to TheShire?

-Charles