[hobbit] Future of Hobbit

Shea, Graeme A Shea.Graeme.A at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Jan 25 01:18:37 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 08:34:01PM +0100, Axel Beckert wrote:

>> What about Windows? As far as I heard, the only current Windows
client
>> for hobbit is BBWin.

> Correct. I've been contacted by a fellow who was interesting in doing
> Windows port of the Hobbit server. I've encouraged him to look into
it,
> but also made it clear that I cannot help with Windows programming.

First, thankyou Henrik for such a great product.

A Windows port of Hobbit Server would be fantastic for us. We are almost
purely a Windows shop and it's just not going to change. I settled on BB
purely because it was the only one I found that had a Windows port, did
what we wanted (at the time) and we could run it free under the BTF
licence. I discovered Hobbit purely by accident fairly recently. It gave
enough advantages (mainly ongoing support and development) that the
"main" server is now a Hobbit/Ubuntu/VMWare Virtual Server running on
one of the Windows boxes. This is our only Linux install. I chose Ubuntu
because of it reputation for ease of use for us non Linux people. The
clients are still BB though I have started to modify our custom scripts
to enable us to use BBWin. I will be using BB for a long time because I
have 7 sites non of them could really be called a main site. Each site
has it own BB server and is stand alone forwarding the information to
the Hobbit server. Since Hobbit cant forward and display at the same
time I cant use it. The capability to run another virtual machine is
also questionable at some sites.

The next best thing to a windows port would be a MS and/or VMWare
virtual server image with everything needed, loaded and going including
a GUI and a easy to use GUI text editor.

I know this is almost heresy for those whose professional lives have
been heavily devoted to open source and Linux but it is the reality for
us and I'm sure we are not alone.

Kind Regards
Graeme