[hobbit] RE: strange rrd results via ncv

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 16:38:42 CET 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 4:09 AM, Whilding, Craig <
Craig_Whilding_TERM at relay1.mentorg.com> wrote:

>  I've had to reply to myself as hobbit mail isn't getting through to me
> for some reason.
>

> Gary or others do you know how I can get it to chart the exact vale that
> comes in then. It's a bit silly having a graph of 4.8 jobs etc. Also 4.5is the average of 4 and 5 so it doesn't make much sense anyway, Also it's
> the data at the bottom of the graph that is really odd – queue max = 1.5m,
> running average 445.0m?
>

> Not sure where that data is coming from?

The problem is that rrdtool expects data to arrive at specific intervals.
Any data that doesn't arrive at the precise time it should, gets
interpolated - i.e. "adjusted to fit the curve".  So, if the rrd is built
with a start time of midnight and update intervals of 300 seconds (5
minutes), you'd need to be delivering updates at 00:05, 00:10, 00:15, etc,
in order to get the exact values stored.

You'll see this in some of the standard graphs too.  I have a machine that's
recording network traffic and right now its current bits-per-second value on
the graph is 15247.9.  0.9 of a bit is ridiculous, but there it is...

Ralph Mitchell