[hobbit] hobbit df disk issue

Tom Georgoulias tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com
Fri Jan 4 16:17:51 CET 2008

Joshua Krause wrote:
> I have posted this once before but haven’t really gotten a response from
> anyone on this question.  I am having an issue with hobbit’s disk column
> alarming on nfs mounts with ip’s on linux boxes.  It look like it reads
> the ip and sees it as one of the disk usage or available disk.

A simple workaround (although it might be viewed as dodging the question
entirely ;)  is to exclude NFS file systems from the disk test all
together, and just watch the disk usage of the NFS filesystem by
monitoring the disk usage on the NFS server itself.  This also has the
benefit of preventing the hobbit client from hanging during the disk
test should the NFS server become unavailable or have issues.  Adding a
"-l" switch to the df command will accomplish this.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I tried using the -h option for the disk
test in my environment and found that it prevented hobbit from correctly
sending alerts when filesystems were yellow or red.  I'm sure it was a
parsing issue, but never took the time to create a patch for do_disk.c
to correct it.

Tom