[hobbit] Monitoring Backups

Rob MacGregor rob.macgregor at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 16:26:46 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Joshua Johnson
<joshua at stenhouseconsulting.com> wrote:
> Steve,
>
>  Thanks that is another good option that we will consider. Would it be possible to call fetchmail directly from the hobbit script and just process new mail on each run? I haven't used fetchmail so I don't know what the options for scripting with it.

[I'll say now I'm a long term user of fetchmail, not to mention one of
the list admins for the fetchmail-users mailing list]

Yes, you could do that.  You could easily configure fetchmail to pass
the emails through a script which would give you a log of your choice
to parse for your final Hobbit report.  Something like the following
(not tested, but should work) for your fetchmail config:

poll pop.my.net uidl user 'name' password 'secure' keep mda
/usr/local/bin/myscript

Then call fetchmail as "fetchmail -f /path/to/config" from your hobbit
script and configure your hobbit script to parse the results of
"myscript".

(Note that the above will NOT delete the emails from the POP server)

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor