FW: [hobbit] Future of Hobbit - Getting added to distro repos

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Fri Feb 1 09:26:19 CET 2008

On Friday 01 February 2008 01:59:19 Coe, Colin C. (Unix Engineer) wrote:
> [...]

[...]

> > I'd recommend you take a look at my Mandriva package first:
> >
> > http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/hob
>
> bit/current/
>
> > The packages basically have no valid errors from rpmlint, or
> > duplicate files
> > in distro checks etc (some of which can be seen on my page on
> > one of the
> > 3rd-party package checking tools for Mandriva -
> > http://youri.zarb.org/demo/mandriva/bgmilne@mandriva.org/rpmch
> > eck.html note
> > the absence of Hobbit).
> I've had a look at your SPEC file.  It doesn't build cleanly under RHEL
> due to the Mandrivia specific macros.  Can you make it more generic so
> as to support other RPM based distros?

IMHO, this is going backwards. Some of these functions for which Mandriva has
standard macros really are required, and implementations need to differ.

However, I have got a macros file which has RedHat implementations of these
macros:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Projects/BackPorts#Building_Mandriva_SRPMS_on_other_distributions

Maybe I need to start proposing standard macros across all rpm-based
distros ...