[hobbit] timed alerts

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Dec 11 07:40:32 CET 2008

In <49403EA2.7090906 at richter-it.net> Torsten Richter <bb4 at richter-it.net> writes:

>is it possible with Hobbit 4.2.0 to time alerts?
>I was asked this by colleagues. They want something that
>if a yellow alert is displayed for more than a configurable
>time that Hobbit/XYmon sets the state of this alert to red.

Not possible today. It has not come up until now, but it's
an interesting idea.

I guess some people would also like a status to go blue if
it's been red for more than a day :-)

>Second question: I have Hobbit server set up with centralised
>configuration. But some of the clients are running with local
>configuration. What do I have to do to monitor the log files
>like /var/log/messages on this client or check for the existence
>of certain files.
>At the moment I have the entries

>"LOG /var/log/messages error" and "FILE /somedir/core NOEXIST" in
>localclient.cfg on the client and also on the server in
>hobbit-clients.cfg. But nothing is monitored.

Off the top of my head (meaning: I haven't tried it) I would think
that you need to put something like
  log:/var/log/messages:10240
into ~hobbit/client/tmp/logfetch.cfg . The "10240" is the max amount
of logdata to send to the Hobbit server (in kB).