[hobbit] Comma-separated lists of hostnames, etc. in hobbit-alerts.cfg is not documented

SebA spa at syntec.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 21:14:20 CET 2008

SebA <mailto:spa at syntec.co.uk> wrote:
> Maybe we have now covered all the examples needed though?

Ah, a few more examples I've been playing with FYI and for the
documentation:
HOST=%myhost(.*) EXHOST=myhost.whatever ... (whatever else)
Works. You _can_ use HOST and EXHOST together. (Docs don't mention this.)

Or you can do it like this:
HOST=%myhost(.*) SERVICE=conn,http,imap,pop3,smtp
     MAIL CommaSeparatedE-MailAddresses EXHOST=myhost.whatever
EXHOST even works in the MAIL line(s).

Nice.

And you can even have nested HOST flags, e.g.:
HOST=%myhost(.*) SERVICE=conn,http,imap,pop3,smtp
     MAIL CommaSeparatedE-MailAddresses HOST=myhost.whatever

Very nice for having different DURATIONs depending on the interface of
myhost that is being network tested. :)

Oh, BTW, I also discovered you can add durations and colors and things to
the hobbitd_alert --test:
./bin/bbcmd hobbitd_alert --test myhost smtp --duration=11
And similar. This is documented here:
http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/docs/man8/hobbitd_alert.8.html but it would
be easier to find that man page if there was a link from
http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/docs/hobbit-alerts.html ;)

Kind regards,

SebA

--------
Better documentation => more user-friendly, less frustration => more Xymon
users... ;)