[hobbit] Problem building Hobbit on a Solaris 10 zone

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 16:42:45 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:06 AM, John P Martin <jmartin23 at csc.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>      I have been trying to build a Hobbit server in a Solaris 10
> non-global zone (or container), having downloaded the 4.2.0 source kit.  I
> believe I have met all the prerequisites, but when I come to the "make"
> stage, the build fails.
>
> I spent some time checking what I had done and searching for known
> problems, so apologies if the information is already out there and I've
> missed it.
>
> I repeated the steps I went through on another similar server, but this
> time built the kit in the global zone, and it built OK.  Has anyone
> sucessfully built a hobbit server in a Solaris 10 non-global zone?
>
> Details:
> OS: Solaris 10 1/06
> Hobbit 4.2.0
> Hardware: SunFire V240 (Sparc).
>
> The configure goes OK.  The make seems to be OK up to this point:
>
> (cd c-ares && CFLAGS="-g -O2 -Wall -Wno-unused -D_REENTRANT  -DSunOS -I.
> -I/export/home/user1/hobbit-4.2.0/include -I/usr/local/include" ./configure
> --disable-shared)
> shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
> parent directories: Error 0
> job-working-directory: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot
> access parent directories: Error 0

I don't know if this is useful, but I can reproduce the message on a linux
system by doing this:

     mkdir /tmp/a
     cd /tmp/a
     rmdir /tmp/a
     bash

I don't have a Solaris 10 non-global zone handy to try it in, but that
*doesn't* work in either Solaris 8 (sparc) or Solaris 10 (x86 in VMware)
global zone.  I guess they're smart enough to notice when you try to remove
a directory that's in your working directory path.

So, this may not be helpful, and I don't know how it does it, but I'd say it
looks like *something* is somehow making part of the directory path
disappear...

Ralph Mitchell