multiple hobbit servers with different bb-hosts files: BBDISPLAYS troubles

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Wed Aug 13 11:30:58 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have (don't ask why) 2 hobbit servers.  Each hobbit servers reports all
information to the other.  So BBDISP=0.0.0.0 and BBDISPLAYS = "<hobbit A>
<hobbit B>"

But some clients are only listed in the bb-hosts of 1 of the 2 hobbit servers.
The client only reports to the hobbit server where they are listed in the
bb-hosts file.  I can see the incoming messages and I see the files under the
data directory.  But no status is displayed on the html pages.

After comparing the 2 servers, I found that the first entry in BBDISPLAYS is
used by the html generator to check if the client exists in the bb-hosts
files.  If the client is not found, no status is displayed on the html pages.
So, in my case, I had to make sure that the first entry in BBDISPLAYS is the
local hobbit server.  And of course, this wasn't and it took my 3 days to
figure out why the status was not displayed on my hobbit server.

It's only the page generator that has this problem.  The network tests are
done, clients can send information, all files in the data directory are
created.

Stef