[hobbit] Don't make the pie higher! (was: RE: [hobbit] "Hobbit" name legal stuff; slight name change will happen)

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Aug 4 16:31:55 CEST 2008

In <36304.192.168.0.1.1217859745.squirrel at epperson.homelinux.net> "Hobbit User in Richmond" <hobbit at epperson.homelinux.net> writes:

>On Mon, August 4, 2008 09:00, Galen Johnson wrote:
>> After reading the letters, it looked to me that as soon as they found out
>> they couldn't pin anyone down to get a slice of the ephemeral pie, they
>> decided that the name should be changed.

>Well, as a PHB who's also a Linux lead, the way I read the letters is that
>as soon as they found out they couldn't pin anyone down to commit to not
>selling  slices of their client's pie and not giving any more of it away
>than was already the case, they wanted a name change.  I thought the
>attitude was quite refreshing after seeing decades worth of threatening
>cease-and-desist letters.

I agree. I think they have been treated me nicely; they could have just
sent me a "stop-doing-this-or-we'll-sue-you-now" letter. They didn't,
and in fact they have been generous to suggest a couple of possible
name changes that I could do which would keep them happy.

Add to this that they actually knew what I was talking about, when I
told them that Hobbit is an Open Source product, so there is no money
involved.

They have a trademark to defend, and one of the rules of that game is
that they MUST react when they become aware of possible violations of
their trademark; if they don't, then they can forfeit their ownership
of the trademark. So they have to do something, and I think they handled
this nicely.

Sure - having to rename everythin IS annoying, but I should have thought
about that when I first picked the name.