[hobbit] "Hobbit" name legal stuff; slight name change will happen

Galen Johnson Galen.Johnson at sas.com
Mon Aug 4 15:00:39 CEST 2008

I thought some (more) this weekend while updating some stuff on The Shire...WOWH Mon (What Once Was Hobbit Mon)...although, in reality, if we can get the lawyers to agree to hobbitmon, that would probably be best.

After reading the letters, it looked to me that as soon as they found out they couldn't pin anyone down to get a slice of the ephemeral pie, they decided that the name should be changed.  One of the many things I hate about some of the recent changes to copyright laws (thanks to Disney) is the Tolkien should be part of the public domain by now...just like Mickey Mouse.  Unfortunately, companies have found that they can still make money on the name and Hobbit is just the unfortunate recipient of their focus.

That said, it's great to see the Hobbit community embracing the change...on other lists I've been on, the number of flames would have far outweighed the general good will (and tongue-in-cheek) suggestions presented so far.

One last comment, any manager or PHB worth their pay would embrace Hobbit on it's merit not it's name (yes, I'm a Dilbert fan and know the reality).  I've been (extremely) fortunate to have worked for no one that actually fits the PHB moniker.

=G=