[hobbit] What happens to client data after handoff?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Apr 1 22:33:54 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 11:09:17AM -0600, Matthew Tice wrote:
> I'm trying to trace why my rrd file isn't being created.  Maybe it has
> something to do with the output of my script?  If I run the following
> command it shows the transmission is successful.
>
> root at tice:/home/hobbit# /home/hobbit/client/bin/bb --debug 127.0.0.1 "data
> tice.blocked `cat /blocks.txt`"

A "data" message is fed to the graph-handling modules (hobbitd_rrd), but
nothing else really. So to get a graph from it, you must configure your
custom dataset - "blocked" - to go through one of the RRD handles.
I.e. either it's in NCV (Name-Colon-Value) format so you must configure
the NCV_blocked setting, or it should go to an external script that
you tell hobbitd_rrd about on the commandline (in hobbitserver.cfg).

> Also, there is plenty of documentation out there on how to format
> a custom STATUS message, but I can't find anything for a custom DATA message
> (e.g. do I leave the $COLOR in the command, etc.?).  How should DATA
> messages be configured?

See the bb(1) man-page:
	data HOSTNAME.DATANAME<newline><additional text>