[hobbit] /etc/resolv.conf and DNS error (http test)

Haertig, David F (Dave) haertig at avaya.com
Wed Sep 26 17:08:56 CEST 2007

Try adding a "search" line to resolv.conf.  e.g., "search example.com".
Your existing domain line should set this as your default search, but
maybe it's not?  Try explicitly setting it by adding a search line.  But
you imply your problem is intermitant, so it's probably not default
search that's getting you.  Do you get the same intermittant failures
when you run "nslookup www.example.com" repeatedly from the command
line?  I believe when you have multiple nameservers listed they are all
queried, and the first to respond wins.  I don't think Solaris waits for
the first to fail before moving on to the second like you say.  I'm not
100% sure about this though.

Note: I believe Solaris only uses the first six entries that are listed
on a resolv.conf "search" line, ignoring the rest.  Something to keep in
mind if you use this.