[hobbit] Advice on how to handle HA monitoring

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 15:28:24 CEST 2007

On 9/21/07, Charles Jones <jonescr at cisco.com> wrote:
> So you are using a custom script to monitor instead of hobbitclient-*.sh ?
> This really isn't an option for me, since I have literally dozens of
> servers that all have the same hobbit homedir, although I have written

It does not matter. You can still write an external script like this

[external]
        ENVFILE /path/to/local/etc/hobbitclient.cfg
        CMD /path/to/local/external/script
        LOGFILE /path/to/local/logs/external.log
        INTERVAL 5m

That will work just fine even though you are sharing same hobbit client

> some custom scripts that check the hostname and only run if they are
> launched on the host that they need to be on.
>
> I think I will just have the oncall persons manually edit
> hobbit-clients.cfg in the case of a failover (oncall gets woken up
> anyhow). They can just uncomment/comment definitions for whichever host
> is the master.

Ouch!

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu