Xen Hobbit Monitoring Script

Andrew Rankin andrew at eiknet.com
Mon Sep 24 16:36:10 CEST 2007

Hello,

I work with Tom Georgoulias over at McClatchy Interactive, he suggested that
I share a python Xen VM Monitoring script I wrote for our systems.  I've
uploaded it to: http://eiknet.com/mi-vt.py.bz2

This script is handy in that it sends information from the Dom0 on behalf of
the DomUs.  This way VM data shows up in hobbit with the rest of the DomU
host information, giving you the following information updated correctly
even if you migrate/move the DomU to another Dom0:

Virtual Machine Status

State: Blocked
HostServerMemUsed: 49.99%
MaxMemSet: 2048 MB
CurMemSet: 2047 MB
VCPUs: 2
Dom0: hostname

It also reports information about all DomUs on behalf of the Dom0:

Virtual Machine Status

Host Server Specs
MB Memory: 8191
Num CPUs: 2
Num Cores: 4
CPU MHz: 2666

hostname01
State: Blocked
HostServerMemUsed: 12.49%
MaxMemSet: 1024 MB
CurMemSet: 1023 MB
VCPUs: 2

hostname02
State: Blocked
HostServerMemUsed: 24.99%
MaxMemSet: 2048 MB
CurMemSet: 2047 MB
VCPUs: 2

hostname03
State: Blocked
HostServerMemUsed: 24.99%
MaxMemSet: 2048 MB
CurMemSet: 2047 MB
VCPUs: 2

hostname04
State: Blocked
HostServerMemUsed: 6.24%
MaxMemSet: 512 MB
CurMemSet: 511 MB
VCPUs: 2

The scripts turns yellow on the system being paused, and red on the system
being crashed, dying or in shutdown states.  You only need to be running
this on the Dom0 and there is, of course, some minor setup to be done by you
in the top of the script.

If you have comments, questions or suggestions feel free to pass them along,
especially if you are well vested in python since this was my first attempt
at using it.

Andrew Rankin
Systems Engineer
McClatchy Interactive