[hobbit] Weird Alerting behavior...bug or expected??

Trent Melcher trent.melcher at sitel.com
Mon Sep 24 16:14:01 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 09:18 -0400, Eric Meddaugh wrote:

> We have the following the the Alerts file:
>

> # on-call page
>
> $TSSSYS_ONCALL_DAY=SCRIPT /home/hobbit/server/ext/qpage.pl
> tss_sys_oncall COLOR=red REPEAT=10 TIME=W:0800:1700 RECOVERED
>
> $TSSSYS_ONCALL_OFF=SCRIPT /home/hobbit/server/ext/qpage.pl
> tss_sys_oncall COLOR=red REPEAT=20 TIME=W:1700:0800 RECOVERED
>
> $TSSSYS_ONCALL_END=SCRIPT /home/hobbit/server/ext/qpage.pl
> tss_sys_oncall COLOR=red REPEAT=20 TIME=06:*:* RECOVERED
>

> $DUPING=%(mxgate)
>

> HOST=$DUPING SERVICE=conn
>
>         $TSSSYS_ONCALL_DAY
>
>         $TSSSYS_ONCALL_OFF
>
>         $TSSSYS_ONCALL_END
>

> We had a host (mxgate03) go down at 3:15am, it sent 1 initial page,
> but no follow ups.  No repeats.  Does Monday from 12am-8am fall in a
> “limbo” timeframe where the 2nd rule does not apply since it’s not a
> Weekday after 5pm, but before 8am???   The host was down for over 3
> hours without any follow up pages.

Since you received the initial page, either the rule was hit and it just
didnt process the REPEAT,  or I suspect you have a rule above this one
that possibly process this alert prior to reaching this one which doesnt
have a repeat.  If you have a test hobbit server you could change your
time on the server and run some test alerts to see which rule is getting
hit.

Trent