[hobbit] Setting up Disk usage Alarm level

Eric Meddaugh etmsys at rit.edu
Thu Sep 20 13:50:39 CEST 2007

I probably depends on how fast the disk fills up and how quickly you can
respond to clean it.

Our "default" levels are 500Mg warning, and 100Mg red.  On some other
systems that have web servers that we want to be alarmed sooner, we have
the warning at 1g, while the alarm is 500Mg.

We've been looking at changing some of the Oracle servers we have to
higher than 500/100 since when someone is processing a giant load the
archive logs can fill the disk up way to fast.

On a system that uses disk based backups, the level are even much
higher, around 100g warning, and 70g alarm.

It'll all depend on the individual system and how fast you can respond
when a warning/alarm notification goes out.

---Eric