N00b starting to use Hobbit

johan.boye at latecoere.fr johan.boye at latecoere.fr
Tue Sep 18 08:36:17 CEST 2007

Hello,

  I'm starting to use Hobbit under the advice of a friend but I'm quite
a newbie with this tool. I would like to know where I could find those
information, maybe a tut on a website or so :
  - Monitoring processes like Oracle, NIS, Apache, SAP or so  (I think
PROC is the way to go)
  - Specific Oracle database monitoring (how run specific .sql ?)
  - Disk space  (I think DISK should be used)
  - Dedicated error message in log file (look for specific string,
certainly LOG)
  - Monitor NetApp filer space disk via snmp (Don't know how)

I have a server running hobbit and I install hobbit client with
server-side configuration. I wrote custom config in server/etc/bb-hosts
but it seems the configuration is take in place. For example, I've
setup:

    etc/hobbit-clients.cfg
    HOST=foobar
            UP      30m
            LOAD    0.5 10.0
            DISK    * 50 95
            MEMPHYS 100 101
            MEMSWAP 50 80
            MEMACT  90 97
            PROC    ypbind 1 -1 yellow
            PROC    nfsd 1 -1 yellow

    And etc/bb-hosts
    192.168.7.16   foobar      # conn bbd ssh NAME:"Foobar"
DESCR:"VMWARE:Test Linux" cpu files

  But I don't have any alert when a ypbind or nfsd processes get down,
do you know why ?

  Thanks a lot for any answers

    Johan

"Les informations contenues dans ce message electronique peuvent etre de nature confidentielles et soumises a une obligation de secret. Elles sont destinees a l'usage exclusif du reel destinataire. Si vous n'etes pas le reel destinataire, ou si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci de le detruire immediatement et de le notifier a son emetteur."

 "The information contained in this e-mail may be privileged and confidential. It is intended for the exclusive use of the designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient or if you receive this e-mail in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender."