[hobbit] Hobbit Minimum HW requirement

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 16:14:33 CEST 2007

On 9/17/07, vernon.everett at westernpower.com.au <
vernon.everett at westernpower.com.au> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I can't tell you what minimum spec is, but I know my first production
> installation of Hobbit was on a $0.00 budget.
> I couldn't get any management buy-in for a monitoring system. (This
> changed once they saw Hobbit in action).
>
> I ran Hobbit on a notebook I built from scavenged components in our
> "scrap" pile.
> It was a P3 800, with 256Mb of RAM. I installed Mandrake (Mandriva) Linux
> on it.
> OK, we never had that many servers we were monitoring, but you could use
> that as a minimum spec. It did run, and I don't think CPU utilisation ever
> went much over 10%.
>
> Anybody out there used something of lower spec?

It's not much lower, but I've got a Compaq DL380 with a single 733MHz P3
cpu and 512Mb memory.  I got lucky with  the disks - four 18Gb disks with
hardware RAID presenting them as one mirrored 36Gb disk.  Right now, the
bbgen page shows:

   bbgen for Hobbit version 4.2.0

   Statistics:
    Hosts               :   903
    Status messages     :  3574
    Purple messages     :     0
    Pages               :    40

There are only 895 unique hosts, as some a listed several times.  Roughly
3000 of the status messages are generated on the server itself, because it
is almost exclusively doing web page monitoring using custom scripts.  That
would be why the server's own cpu load graph shows a 5.7 average...  :)

It is running RedHat 7.2, and has been down for maintenance about 4 times in
7 years - once to be installed in the rack (after running for a year in my
cube), once when its power supply died, once when the building UPS was down
for maintenance, and once when I was screwing around with kernel modules.

Ralph Mitchell