bb-hosts: Same server multiple times: "noconn" use adviseable?

Haertig, David F (Dave) haertig at avaya.com
Fri Sep 7 02:33:31 CEST 2007

I have hosts that appear multiple times in bb-hosts.  I pick one
instance and give that the "prefer" tag and the real IP address.  Other
(secondary) instances have an IP of 0.0.0.0 and do not have the "prefer"
tag.

Is it adviseable to also put "noconn" on each of the secondary
instances?  I currently have done that, but would like to remove it if
it's a useless thing.  But then, I would want to leave "noconn" in place
if that prevents Hobbit from excessively pinging a server with multiple
instances.

Is "noconn" a NOP in my scenerio, or is it actually doing something
useful for me?  I wouldn't know where to check to see if it's preventing
excessive pings or not.

Thanks!