[hobbit] More Granular data than 300 second samples, duh!

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Mon Oct 15 08:47:15 CEST 2007

On Monday 15 October 2007, Scott Walters wrote:
> One of the most common requests to the trending of data is "How do I
> make the charts graph data samples which are smaller than 300
> seconds?"  And the answer has been, you have the source, have fun.
>
> The original design decision that Henrik inherited was larrd should
> only be for capacity planning and NOT real-time performance analysis.
> Do one thing and do it well.
>
> I had a thought the other day, and I think we could possibly get the
> "best of both worlds."
I disagree.  Hobbit is designed for monitoring-with-5-minutes interval.  It
will also create a 100 x load if you go fro; 5 minutes to 3 second intervals.
Same for the rrd size.  My rrd dir is currently 154.  I'm migrating to a new
hobbit and I changed the rrds so I have 5760 and not 576 data ponints / rrd.
The new rrd's are 5921 MB.  Going to a 3 second interval means 592100 MB =
593 GB .......
It's also possible that the hobbit client will generate more load then the
applications ...

For real time monitoring, take a look at nmon.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-analyze_aix/
The tool was original AIX only, but linux is also supported in the latest
releases.  This is a tool that combines all other monitor tools in 1 screen.
Great tool.

Stef