[hobbit] Re: SNMP (was: Monitoring Web sites with Hobbit)

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Oct 5 22:31:56 CEST 2007

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 11:02:23AM +0200, Klomp, H. wrote:
> Could you please explain a little about the differences of using the SNMP module in hobbit and using DEVMON ?
>
> I'm busy in switching from Big Brother to hobbit and at the same time want to implement the old MRTG graphs of our cisco
> routers and switches into the hobbit monitoring. Which one should I use, Devmon of your new feature ?

Right now, you should use Devmon. It works, it is - from what I know -
a lot more flexible, and it works with a lot of different types of
network gear.

There are really just two reasons why I started doing some SNMP
tools myself: 1) I was curious to see how it worked, and 2) I am
not sure how Devmon would handle the 12.000 network interfaces that
I must poll every 5 minutes. It might work just fine, I haven't
really looked very much into how Devmon works.