[hobbit] Hobbit Client on linux works fine but not on Sun nor Windows

Johan BOYÉ johan.boye at latecoere.fr
Mon Oct 1 14:00:23 CEST 2007

Henrik Stoerner a écrit :

> On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 12:52:37PM +0200, johan.boye at latecoere.fr wrote:
> >   My first problem was that the config the alert for a specific host.
> > The only way I've found is to configure alerts on the localclient.cfg of
> > each client. If not, any information could be monitored by the server (I
> > used to configure hobbit-clients.cfg & bb-hosts on the server but it
> > never works :-/)
>
> Don't use the local client configuration, if you can avoid it. Since you
> do not provide any details about what exactly it is that "never works"
> I cannot help you, but I would suggest looking into this first.

I started the installation on the server by declaring a new client
server on 'server/etc/bb-hosts' and then configure
'server/etc/hobbit-clients.cfg'
The client never retrieved me any information except the "conn", "info"
& "trends" status provided by the server itself!
I decided to re-install the hobbit client with configuration on the
client itself : It worked each time : all extra columns appeared
according processes I'm running!

> You *are* sending the client data to a Hobbit server, not the BB server?
> BB servers are not compatible with the Hobbit client.

I'm not running any BB servers or client now. I'm trying to migrate to
Hobbit

> >   I installed the client on SunOS, it starts fine, I've configured the
> > localclient.cfg on the client, bb-hosts on the server. The only thing
> > monitored is the "conn"... looks at the Sun  localclient.cfg :
>
> Please try to run the client(s) in the normal mode, that should give
> you all of the standard columns, without requiring any configruation.

Well, it's not, it gives only "conn", "info" & "trends". Only re-install
the hobbit client with a local conf provided me the extra columns like
"cpu", "disk", "ntp", "procs".

 Any ideas why Linux clients retrieve information to the Hobbit server
only with local conf and why Sun & Windows doesn't retrieve extra
informations like "cpu", "disk", "ntp" according the configuration I put
bellow ?

     Thanks!

Sun  localclient.cfg :

          DEFAULT
                  # Uptime mini
                  UP      1h

                  # Decalage d'horloge en sec
                  CLOCK   120

                  # Memoire
                  MEMPHYS 100 101
                  MEMSWAP 50 80
                  MEMACT  90 97

                  # Load average
                  LOAD    2.0 5.0

                  # Espace disque
                  DISK    /               70 90

                  # Processus
                  PROC    master  1       yellow
                  PROC    smbd    1       red
                  PROC    nmbd    1       red
                  PROC    ypbind  1       yellow
                  PROC    apache2 5    20   red

                  # Fichiers
                  FILE /var/adm/messages  SIZE>0 MTIME<1200 yellow
                  FILE /var/adm/messages  yellow  "timed out!"

                  # LOG
                  LOG %/var/adm/messages %(I/O|read).error COLOR=red

I have the same problem with BBWin, here is the bbwin.cfg :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
  <configuration>
        <bbwin>
          <setting name="bbdisplay" value="yourfirstbbdisplay:1984" />
          <!-- <setting name="bbdisplay"
value="yoursecondbbdisplay:port" />-->
          <!-- BB Pager Part -->
          <!--<setting name="usepager" value="false" />
          <setting name="bbpager" value="yourfirstbbpager" />
          <setting name="bbpager" value="yourfirstbbpager" />
          <setting name="pagerlevels" value="red yellow" /> -->

          <!-- bbwin mode local or central -->
          <setting name="mode" value="local" />
          <setting name="configclass" value="win32" />

          <setting name="autoreload" value="true" />
          <setting name="timer" value="5m" />
          <load name="cpu" value="cpu.dll"/>
          <load name="disk" value="disk.dll"/>
          <load name="externals" value="externals.dll"/>
          <load name="memory" value="memory.dll"/>
          <load name="msgs" value="msgs.dll"/>
          <load name="procs" value="procs.dll"/>
          <load name="stats" value="stats.dll"/>
          <load name="svcs" value="svcs.dll"/>
          <load name="uptime" value="uptime.dll"/>
          <setting name="loglevel" value="3" />
          <setting name="logpath" value="C:\Program
Files\BBWin\logs\BBWin.log"/>
          <!--  If true, the agent will report reporting failures as
warning events -->
          <setting name="logreportfailure" value="false" />
        </bbwin>
        <cpu>
          <!-- If true, the agent  will always report with green status -->
          <setting name="alwaysgreen" value="false" />
          <setting name="default" warnlevel="70" paniclevel="95"
delay="3" />
        </cpu>
        <disk>
          <!-- If true, the agent  will always report with green status -->
          <setting name="alwaysgreen" value="false" />
          <!-- Level can be given by % or size unit mb, gb, tb -->
          <setting name="default" warnlevel="85%" paniclevel="95%" />
          <!-- custom rules examples -->
          <setting name="C" warnlevel="70%" paniclevel="400mb" />
          <!-- <setting name="E" ignore="true" />  -->
          <!-- If true, the agent will check remote drives -->
          <setting name="remote" value="false" />
          <!-- If true, the agent will that cd/dvdrom drives are empty -->
          <setting name="cdrom" value="false" />
        </disk>
        <externals>
          <setting name="timer" value="3m" />
          <setting name="logstimer" value="60s" />
        <memory>
         <msgs>
          <setting name="alwaysgreen" value="false" />
          <match logfile="System" type="error" delay="1h"
alarmcolor="red" />
          <match logfile="System" type="warning" alarmcolor="yellow" />
          <match logfile="Application" type="error" delay="1h"
alarmcolor="red" />
          <match logfile="Application" type="warning" alarmcolor="yellow" />
          <match logfile="Security" type="fail" />

          <!-- Some ignore rules examples
          <ignore logfile="Application" eventid="1030" />
          <ignore logfile="System" source="W32Time" />
          -->
        </msgs>
        <procs>
          <!-- some procs rules example -->
          <setting name="drwtsn" rule="-1" alarmcolor="red" />
          <setting name="mmc.exe" rule="-1" alarmcolor="red" />
          <setting name="pageant.exe" rule="=1" comment="Putty agent
deamon" />
        </procs>
        <svcs>
          <!-- If true, the agent  will always report with green status -->
          <setting name="alwaysgreen" value="false" />
          <!-- If true, the agent will restart all "automatic  services"
which would be stopped-->
          <setting name="autoreset" value="false" />
          <setting name="alarmcolor" value="yellow" />
          <setting name="Automatic Updates" value="started"
autoreset="true" alarmcolor="red" />
        </svcs>
        <uptime>
          <setting name="delay" value="30m" />
        </uptime>
  </configuration>

"Les informations contenues dans ce message électronique peuvent être de nature confidentielles et soumises à une obligation de secret. Elles sont destinées à l'usage exclusif du réel destinataire. Si vous n'êtes pas le réel destinataire, ou si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci de le détruire immédiatement et de le notifier à son émetteur."

 "The information contained in this e-mail may be privileged and confidential. It is intended for the exclusive use of the designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient or if you receive this e-mail in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender."