[hobbit] New feature ?

Everett, Vernon Vernon.Everett at woodside.com.au
Thu Nov 29 01:10:50 CET 2007

Hi Henrik

I have looked at the responses to my proposal, and based on that, and a
little more thought overnight, I would like to modify my proposal.

What if we have a "script" on the server, which gets run on the client,
and all definitions gathered from that "script" become available at the
server?

The script could be pseudo code (or real code) defining what variables
need to be set at server level, and how they are derived at the client
level.

For example.
ARCH=`uname -i`
PROCTYPE=`uname -p`

It starts getting more interesting once you need to define number of
processors, because it depends on your OS how you derive that info.
On SunOS it would be `psrinfo | wc -l`
On RedHat, it would probably be `dmidecode | grep "Central Processor" |
wc -l`
There may be another way - Red Hat admins can you help?

Probably need to use a case statement, like you use at the client.

This method will allow an administrator to define anything they want,
not just limited to hardware info.
HAS_A_GUI=`grep -v"^#" /etc/inittab | grep X11`
(I know, it's a silly example, but I only used it as an illustration of
what is possible)

I have no idea how this could be implemented in an elegant fashion, but
I think that's why I am a Sysadmin/DBA, and not a developer :-)

Regards
    Vernon