[hobbit] Hobbit Average Data

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 07:08:22 CET 2007

I'll ask a question first, what is it that is wrong with the current
implementation. If the "people" want the ability to zoom into a five
minute period from a year back, then you need to modify the rrd files.

We had a sort of similar requirement for capacity planning in that for
servers that peak during the day, and are completely idle at night.
After a period of time, the average down to one sample per day would
not give a good indication of how the server is performing over time.
What we did was create an rrd database that stored MAX values, that
way when the data is reduced to one sample per day, it was the max
value for the day. We only did this for a 15 minute uptime value chart
and from memory, we set up a script that created the rrd file to our
spec the first time a sample flowed through based on current
functionality within hobbit to add custom processing for different
alerts. I don't have access to the system right now to check how it
was done.

Cheers

Phil

--