[hobbit] big brother replacement

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Nov 6 07:42:05 CET 2007

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 02:27:42PM +0800, Ryan Jay B. Lapuz wrote:
> I just setup a backup server for our primary hobbit server yesterday that
> was inspired by this:
>
>> From Henrick:
>> I run two completely separate systems in parallel, and have the clients
>> report to both of them. The system at our disaster center has the paging
>> module disabled (just disable the [bbpage] section in hobbitlaunch.cfg),
>> to avoid double alerts - it is simple to activate it, if necessary. --
>> ((manual I think))
>
> Now that is my current setup, however you just created a failover script
> which will make the failover transition automatic.The concept is just the
> same but,  is the clients will still report to both HB servers if there is
> no failover?

The failover script is used in a scenario where you have two servers
running the network tests - and ONLY the network tests, not the Hobbit
display - each reporting to their own Hobbit server.  If the primary
network test server server goes down then you want the backup server to
automatically start feeding the test results to both servers. In that case
it becomes necessary to have a failover from the primary to the backup
server to do the network tests, and that is what the script I posted
does.

But in both scenarios you'd probably want to have the "full picture" of
the health of your systems, so you do need to have the data from the
clients available, both on the primary and on the backup system.
Therefore the clients should be configured to send data to both systems.