[hobbit] Moving RRDs from one version of rrdtool to another

Mike Rowell Mike.Rowell at Rightmove.co.uk
Tue May 29 17:56:22 CEST 2007

Unfortunately RRD files are architecture dependant, you'll have to do an
rrdtool dump transfer xml files to new server then rrdtool restore on
each file to get it into the arch type.

http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrddump.en.html

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Jones [mailto:jonescr at cisco.com]
Sent: 29 May 2007 16:44
To: hobbit at hswn.dk
Subject: [hobbit] Moving RRDs from one version of rrdtool to another

I wish to move a Hobbit monitor that has been running for quite some
time on a Solaris platform, to a new Linux server that I setup. I did
not want to lose the history for the hosts so I copied the data
directory to the new host, but it seems the rrd files are not compatible

as I have missing graph links.  I checked the permissions and they are
okay.

Hmm I checked rrdtool versions and here's what I found:
Solaris: rrdtool version 1.0.49
Linux: rrdtool version 1.2.18-1

* Now I am assuming that the problem is the difference in the rrdtool
versions.  I don't really want to roll back to an older version on the
linux box.
 * After some research it looks like rrdtool has an option to dump an
rrd to XML. You can then import that XML to another rrdtool version. I
will try that and report if it works or not.

Note: I'm not asking a specific question in this post...I'm mostly just
"thinking out loud" in case my problem and resolution helps others who
search the mailing list.

-Charles

hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs service.