[hobbit] xml configs

Haertig, David F (Dave) haertig at avaya.com
Mon May 21 20:44:18 CEST 2007

Nothing against XML in general.  But my feeling is that it's of most use
when data needs to be shared by different applications maintained by
different people.  Or if you're using some generic off-the-shelf tool to
accomplish a task and that tool needs XML.

I doubt there are too many apps out there (any at all?) that have a need
to parse a hobbit config file.  The things that come to mind as
possibilities have already been covered by Hobbit built-ins, like
bbhostgrep.  And even if that one weren't available, I could hack out a
quick shell script to get the info faster than I could review the XML
schema and implement structured parsing of an XML config file.  And I'm
better than average with XML/XSLT.

My Hobbit client scripts are 99% custom things I've written.  Many
access XML files for various reasons (typically using XSLT).  But that's
because these client scripts share bits and pieces of the data with a
wide diversity of other apps.  Were it only the Hobbit client that
needed the data, XML/XSLT would be way overkill.