Alerting on matching group tags in bb-hosts

Dennis Ortsen dortsen at gmail.com
Fri May 4 12:35:17 CEST 2007

Hi All,

I'm busy setting up alerting (first timer). We have several departments
doing specialized work. One dept. Handles the network, the other linux
servers, again another for windows servers and finally one that handles all
the webservers. The departments are also spread over two locations.

I've created a few pages (no subpages) in bb-hosts which contain group items
as well. For instance:

**************************************
page windows Windows

group Domain controllers
1.2.3.4	dcroot	# COMMENT:"main DC"
1.2.3.5	dclocation1	# COMMENT:"DC for location1"
1.2.3.6	dclocation2	# COMMENT:"DC for location2"

group Windows servers in location1
1.2.4.1	server1-location1
1.2.4.2	server2-location1

group Windows servers in location2
1.2.4.3	server3-location2
1.2.4.4	server4-location2
**************************************

All servers have a hobbit-compatible client (Bbwin) installed.

>From what I have read in the documentation, it is not possible to send alert
emails to a defined mail group in hobbit-alerts.cfg based on the group tag
in bb-hosts. It is possible for (sub)page tags and hosts matching a regexp.
But what if I want all problems to any host under group "Windows servers in
location2" to be directed to a list of email addresses for that specific
location?

How can I accomplish this?

Thnx in advance

Regards,