[hobbit] Next release suggestion, msgs, ports?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Mar 23 11:04:40 CET 2007

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 11:47:42PM +0000, Gore, David W (David) wrote:
> I am sure I am not the only one who has seen the message:
>
> Oversize data/client msg from n.n.n.n truncated (n=787987, limit 786432)
>
> I was wondering if there were any plans to put msgs, and ports in their
> own channels to avoid that?  Some of our log file monitoring is done on
> the server, additional log file monitoring is done using the old
> bb-msgs.sh script.  Perhaps I could increase the shared memory sizes,
> but I am not sure with only a 1G of memory available on the server.

Putting them in a separate channel would not lower the shared-memory
usage. You would still need a segment large enough to handle the biggest
set of "ports" data.

But on a 1 GB server, would it be a problem to allocate 1 or 2 MB for
such a shared memory area ? 2 MB is only 0.2 % of the total amount of
memory ... the only bothersome thing is that some systems have rather
low default settings for the max. size of shared memory segments, so
it is possible that you would have to tune some kernel parameters.