[hobbit] Server-side extension scripts: shell vs. C programming

Gary Baluha gumby3203 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 20:12:33 CEST 2007

I remember reading somewhere in the Hobbit documentation that when an
extension script starts to do a lot of things, it should be coded in a
compiled language such as C, instead of as a shell script.  I have a custom
script that takes a lot of data and converts it into NCV graphs, and I
believe it is at the point where I should consider rewriting it in C.

Before I get to far into it, is the hobbitd_sample.c something that I should
look at for this?  I'm not sure if I'm reading the documentation on it
correctly, if it is a good example for an external script.  Has anyone else
had experience in needing to convert a shell script to C/C++/etc for
Hobbit?  I'm just trying to get a rough idea of how much effort this will
require.